I got the following error today when trying to update my windows developer license:
This wasn’t great news considering I couldn’t run my apps without a developers license. There were a lot of suggestions from both forums and Microsoft support that I either had a) a cracked version of windows or b) that I had pending windows updates that I had either failed to install or installed but not rebooted. Now, I have a very legit license of windows 8.1 and I checked for updates but had none and rebooted the computer. Still the problem remained.
I then realized that I was running Hola (VPN) running on my computer for testing and that it might upset Microsoft in some way. I turned it of and BAM it worked and I got my license.